Forum

AutoCross Q & A

AutoCross Q & A

Postby admin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Eguina

Hi Gang ...............COME JOIN THE FUN ! ! ! ! ! !

Since OCR's Auto-X 2010 isstarting, I thought I would post the answers to some of the common questions I have been asked over the years.

Q. What is an Auto-X
A. Autocross is the sport of trying to navigate your car through a defined course of pylons usually on a large parking lot, faster than your competition. Autocross courses are set up using soft orange traffic pylon cones (which should not damage you car) and events are run at speeds usually between 40-65 MPH, usually all in 2nd gear. Autocross is a "performance driving event" and a way to learn how to drive your car at its limits. You not only learn how to handle your car at speeds that you drive daily, but you also:

• Gain confidence in your driving ability
• Learn the limits of your car's brakes
• Learn correct seating, hand, and feet positions
• Learn the limits of your car's tire adhesion

Most importantly, autocross is also a social gathering of friends with a common interest and is simply a ton of fun!

Q. Where do I find Autocross Information regarding OCR events.
A. See Autocross Information in the left column on the OCR Home Page.

Q. What time do they start?
A. Tech opens at 7:00 am and closes at 8:00. Drivers meeting is at 8:20 am First car on course at 9:00 am. We usually run till about 5:30 pm in the summer 4:30pm in the winter.

Q. How do I sign-up!
A. Registration: With our new on-line Events Pre-Payment/Registration system you can register in advance. Just send a check or pay with a credit card. No having to wait in line to register at the event. Just go to tech and your done!
If you have registration questions e-mail: autoxreg@sbcglobal.net

GO TO: http://www.pcaocr.org click "Autocross Information" on the Home page. Double click "Registration"(Disconnect your pop-up blocker) if you are a first timer click "Add New". Once registered yu must pay with you credit card. Write down the driver’s number you are assigned and your password so you do not loose it!

Q. What training do I need?
A. Don't worry about any advanced driving skills being needed! We'll have an instructor help you get comfortable with your car and how you'll be using it. You'll be amazed how much you'll learn and how much more comfortable you'll become with your Porsche in just one or two autocross events!

Q. What should I bring?
A. Bring a small cooler with drinks and snacks. You won't really have time to leave for lunch and don't forget the sunscreen! Also, see items covered in other questions below.

Q. What class does my car run in, what modifications are permitted?
A. Several classes exist for each model Porsche. These range from totally stock to highly modified. The entry form has a check list to help you determine your class. Complete it to the best of your ability when you register and we will answer any question on-line or at the event. If you are new at this sport, you will not likely be competitive at first nor will your car be prepared according to any particular rules. Just allow your car to be classed, tell them you are a novice and be ready to learn a ton about driving!

Q. Do I need any special equipment in order to compete?
A. No, You can Auto-X any Porsche providing that it meets the minimum safety requirements and is in good working condition. Make sure that you have good working seatbelts, that your battery is properly secured, and that you have all lug nuts on your wheels. Also, check you tire pressure and add a couple extra pounds. If your car is ready for a long weekend trip and has good tires it is probably ready for an Auto-X. You will need a helmet (see Zone 8 rules for requirements). If you do not have a helmet we do have some loaners. You DO NOT need a roll bar in an open or closed car.

Q. Where can I purchase a helmet?
A. Some of you have asked me this question. OCR has loaner helmets. However for about $145 you can buy SA2005 open face helmets from the following vendors. (Same helmets as OCR's loaners are available from the vendor below) Mention you belong to PCA for this special pricing and a free helmet bag while thy last! (Note:See Zone 8 rules for helmet requirements.)

Racing Lifestyle (Michael or Daniel) - Available for pick up at the Auto-X events.

See Pictures at http://www.RacingLifeStyle.com Available in White or Black

Q. My first event, What do I do now?
A. When you get to the event the first thing that you should do is go to registration. Hopefully you have pre-registered on-line. Be sure to tell someone you are a novice and would like some guidance. At registration, you will also need to sign up for a work group if one has not already been assigned. After registering, prepare your car for TECH INSPECTION; remove all loose items from your car, hubcaps should be taken off of your wheels, then go to TECH, they will inspect your car for the safety items that were mentioned above.

Q. What is a work assignment?
A. While you run there will be others that watch the course, pick up cones, keep track of cars in pre-grid, and watch the entry gate. In return you must do these items for them.

Q. Is Auto-Xing Safe for me and my car?
A. Yes, although any competitive driving event does have an element of danger, Auto-Xing is a safe sport. You are responsible for providing a safe car and driving in a controlled manner. When working the course the first rule is to be safe and always keep you eyes on the cars on course. Auto-Xing is generally not hard on your car and one of the purposes of Tech Inspection is to see if there are any obvious concerns.

Q. Is my insurance policy in effect at an Auto-X or other PCA/OCR driving events?
A. Every policy is different. You should read your policy and/or check with your agent.

If you have any questions, e-mail seguina@cox.net or better yet post your question on the OCR Forum under Driving Events. I’m sure other will have the same questions.

Have Fun! Steve Eguina - Friend of the “Cone”!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
admin
Site Admin

Return to AutoCross & DETT